While the UFC lightweight title picture remains murky, things at least are starting to come into focus.
Let’s start with two important developments.First, RT Sport reported today, citing venue officials, that the UFC has booked Moscow’s Olympic Stadium for Sept. 14 and 15 to bring an event to Russia for the first time. If that happens, there’s no doubt the plan would be to have Khabib Nurmagomedov, a bona fide star in his home country, included on the card.
There’s also talk of UFC 223 coming to Barclay’s Center in Brooklyn, N.Y., on April 7. Although nothing is official, a person with knowledge of the situation has told MMAjunkie that is the plan. This matters to Nurmagomedov’s more immediate future, because Brooklyn’s large Russian population and the promotion’s desire to bring a major headliner to the Big Apple make UFC 223 perfect for his next booking.It’s also important to note that the two planned events coincide with his desired fight schedule for 2018. Following his UFC 219 dismantling of Edson Barboza less than two weeks ago, Nurmagomedov said he wanted three fights in 2018: once before May, followed by September and December. A devout Muslim, Nurmagomedov won’t fight during Ramadan, which begins May 15.When you consider all of that, UFC President Dana White’s recent assessment of the lightweight title picture surrounding champion Conor McGregor (21-3 MMA, 9-1 UFC), interim titleholder Tony Ferguson (23-3 MMA, 13-1 UFC) and Nurmagomedov (25-0 MMA, 9-0 UFC) makes complete sense.
As long as Conor is willing to fight by March, we could do Khabib vs. Tony and then the winner fights Conor for the title, White told Yahoo! Sports earlier this month. Or, if Conor wants to sit out until next fall, then wed have to make Khabib vs. Tony for the title not the interim title.The recent announcement of a featherweight title fight headliner between Max Holloway and Frankie Edgar for UFC 222 on March 3 in Las Vegas obviously means McGregor, who hasn’t fought MMA since winning his belt in November 2016, isn’t coming back by then. And since we haven’t heard anything to indicate otherwise, a McGregor return in April also seems like a stretch.
What looks probable at least to me is McGregor sits out until the fall as White hinted at, is stripped of his title, and Ferguson defends the undisputed championship against Nurmagomedov at UFC 223. The outcome would directly impact the potential Russia event in September.
Win or lose, you’d expect Nurmagomedov to fight in Russia regardless. A win over Ferguson, though, would likely all but guarantee McGregor’s return for a showdown with Nurmagomedov in Russia, something White told MMAjunkie last year was on McGregor’s radar.
We’re not quite there yet, but the definitive answers to the burning questions surrounding the UFC lightweight title picture should be coming soon.For more on the UFCs upcoming schedule, check out theUFC Rumorssection of the site.
More UFC Articles
- UFC Fight Night 134 post-event facts: All kinds of records set in Germany 42 mins, 52 sec ago 1
- UFC Hamburg's five biggest takeaways, including a scary new legend killer at light heavyweight 1 hours, 41 mins ago 3
- UFC Fight Night 134 Promotional Guidelines Compliance pay: Stefan Struve nets top payout 2 hours, 32 mins ago 2
- Fight Tracks: The walkout songs of UFC Fight Night 134 with Bob Marley, Duran Duran 3 hours, 12 mins ago 2
- David Branch vs. Ronaldo Souza official for UFC 230 in New York City 3 hours, 53 mins ago 1
- Daniel Cormier posts fiery open letter to Alexander Gustafsson after UFC 227 withdrawal 12 hours, 52 mins ago 12
- Glover Teixeira after UFC Hamburg loss to Corey Anderson: 'I can't be fighting like this' 15 hours, 12 mins ago 7
- Anthony Smith calls Alexander Gustafsson injury 'mighty ironic,' weighs options after UFC Hamburg 15 hours, 42 mins ago 8
- UFC Fight Night 134 draws reported 7,798 attendance for $750,000 live gate 16 hours, 53 mins ago 7
- Stefan Struve shares nasty photo of chin gash, ponders future after UFC Hamburg loss 17 hours, 12 mins ago 11
- Anthony Smith def. Mauricio Rua at UFC Fight Night 134: Best photos 17 hours, 22 mins ago 3
- UFC Fight Night 134 bonuses: Anthony Smith messes up 'Shogun' for $50,000 17 hours, 32 mins ago 3
- So much for that idea – Alexander Gustafsson also out at UFC 227 17 hours, 42 mins ago 8
- Twitter reacts to Anthony Smith's 89-second KO of 'Shogun' Rua at UFC Fight Night 134 18 hours, 2 mins ago 8
- UFC Fight Night 134 results: Anthony Smith destroys 'Shogun' Rua with devastating barrage 18 hours, 2 mins ago 4
- Twitter reacts to Corey Anderson's grinding win over Glover Teixeira at UFC Fight Night 134 18 hours, 22 mins ago 5
- UFC Fight Night 134 results: Corey Anderson makes easy work of Glover Teixeira 18 hours, 22 mins ago 3
- UFC Fight Night 134 results: Abu Azaitar outworks Vitor Miranda for unanimous decision 19 hours, 2 mins ago 3
- UFC Fight Night 134 results: Marcin Tybura chops down Stefan Struve for decision win 19 hours, 32 mins ago 3
- UFC Fight Night 134 results: Danny Roberts outworks David Zawada in back-and-forth fun fight 20 hours, 2 mins ago 7