UFC champ de Randamie believes hand surgery inevitable, responds to Holm, 'Cyborg'
Newly minted UFC women’s featherweight champion Germaine de Randamie believes she will undergo surgery on her hand but is waiting on the opinion of a doctor before she makes her final decision.
“The doctor told me it’s something I can’t avoid,” de Randamie said during a media teleconference arranged by the UFC. “I don’t want to have permanent damage, so that’s something I want to figure out, if I have to do it now or I can do it at a later stage.”De Randamie (8-3 MMA, 4-1 UFC)appeared to put the new division on pause immediately after she outpointed Holly Holm(10-3 MMA, 3-3 UFC)at last Saturday’s UFC 208, announcing she would take time off to address her hand.But today, she put the decision on medical professionals to decide whether she can fight again in the near future.
“I’ve been so busy, so I still have to see a doctor again,” she said. “They will evaluate and see what the next step will be.”Waiting on that news is Holm, who reportedly has appealed the bout’s result,and Cristiane Justino (17-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC), who’s said she won’t wait for the champ to heal andbelieves she’s the No. 1 contender to the new belt if she gets cleared by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA).
Holm’s appeal asksthe overseeing New York State Athletic Commission to review referee Todd Anderson’s performance after neitherof two late punches in the second and third rounds didn’t receive a point deduction.As of Thursday afternoon, the NYSAC told MMAjunkie that no appeal has been received. De Randamie, however, said she and Holm should settle the matter in the octagon.
“If Holly feels like the point deductions are the reason she lost, and she’s looking to make a no-contest or a draw, she should simply accept the offer that I put out,” de Randamie said.
De Randamie denied Holm’s claim that her late punches were intentional, explaining she was in the middle of throwing combinations when both incidents occurred.
“Sometimes when you’re in the heat of the moment, you’re in the fight,” she said. “You get hit, and you hit somebody. It was absolutely never intentional, and that’s what upsets me me so much, people saying I’m a dirty fighter. But I’m not a dirty fighter. It really hurts me when people say that. I truly respect Holly, the UFC and Holly’s camp. It’s sad that things like this have happened.”
“Cyborg”did not take kindly to De Randamie’s decision to defer to her doctor, posting on Twitterduring the teleconference.
But the champ denied she is avoiding a bout with “Cyborg,” who was supposed to fight for the title at UFC 208 before health complications ruled her out anda failed out-of-competition drug test upended her career.
“Honestly, I don’t take it personal,” de Randamie said. “I know I’m not afraid, and I will fight everybody.”
She later added: “If you get the chance to fight for a UFC belt, you’re going to fight whoever they put in front of you. Only a crazy person would say no.”
Asked by MMAjunkie what she’d do differently in a rematch with Holm, de Randamie said she would take steps to avoid the situation that resulted from their first bout. Hearing critics accuse of her being a dirty fighter was not the reception she hoped for in winning the title.
“I would be very careful of listening to the bell, because I don’t ever want this to happen again,” de Randamie said. “I would be very carefully listening if I can hear the bell, and if I can hear the click-click of the blocks during the last 10 seconds. I’ll probably dance around and move away from Holly, so we don’t have this controversy.”For complete coverage of UFC 208, check out the UFC Events section of the site.
More UFC News
- 'Jacare' continues social media attack on Michael Bisping, labels champ a coward - 9 hours, 39 mins ago 8
- Bellator 173's James Gallagher thinks fellow prospect Aaron Pico should shut his (expletive) mouth - 10 hours, 59 mins ago 6
- USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie rankings, Feb. 21: Derrick Lewis one step closer to No. 2 - 12 hours, 9 mins ago 7
- Bellator 179's Derek Anderson on Michael Page fight: I'll be 'his first test,' and 'he's not going to pass' - 12 hours, 59 mins ago 10
- Ronda Rousey lands guest-star role on NBC series 'Blindspot' - 13 hours, 59 mins ago 8
- One of the longest-running MMA promotions is almost finished, but will its history die with it? - 14 hours, 39 mins ago 15
- Former UFC flyweight title challenger Kyogi Horiguchi signs with Rizin FF for April debut - 15 hours, 39 mins ago 14
- Bellator 179's MacDonald bringing 'the old Rory back' against Daley, who expects a knockout win - 16 hours, 39 mins ago 9
- Watch MMAjunkie Radio here (1 p.m. ET): Former UFC heavyweight champ Frank Mir (in studio) - 17 hours, 29 mins ago 7
- Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2388 featuring calls from Junkie Nation - 17 hours, 29 mins ago 8
- UFC Fight Night 105's 10 memorable moments: Lewis' huge KO and late stoppage, Hendricks is back - 18 hours, 39 mins ago 10
- Video: Bellator 179 headliners Rory MacDonald, Paul Daley get face-to-face in London - 19 hours, 29 mins ago 6
- Ahead of UFC 209 rematch, watch first Tyron Woodley vs. Stephen Thompson fight at UFC 205 - 20 hours, 9 mins ago 9
- Lineup, broadcast plans set for next month's UFC 209 with two title fights - 20 hours, 59 mins ago 8
- Report: New Yorker Desmond Green signs with UFC, fights Josh Emmett at UFC 210 in Buffalo - 21 hours, 39 mins ago 12
- Co-Main Event Podcast: Download episode No. 245 with Ben Fowlkes, Chad Dundas - 21 hours, 59 mins ago 11
- Gavin Tucker feels he could've fought better despite nearly flawless UFC debut - 1 days ago 11
- UFC Fight Night 105's Paul Felder wants to go undefeated in 2017, 'put butts in those seats' - 1 days ago 10
- Why Freddie Roach says Conor McGregor has chance to beat Floyd Mayweather in boxing - 1 days ago 9
- Sara McMann would fight again before UFC title shot but thinks she's already earned it - 1 days ago 10
- Bischoff Wasnt Surprised By Lesnars Retirement - 6 days ago 133
- Schiavone Thinks He Got Blacklisted From WWE - 5 days ago 115
- Poffo on Why Andre and Savage Didnt Get Along - 6 days ago 113
- Jarrett TNAs Last Year Was Black Eye On Industry - 3 days ago 109
- Vader Sends Out Ominous Tweet About His Health - 6 days ago 109
- Kurt Angle To Do Some Wrestling For WWE - 5 days ago 107
- Waltman Cena Insisted on Putting Over Wyatt - 5 days ago 104
- WWE Was Not Okay With The Rock Calling CM Punk After RAW - 16 hours, 10 mins ago 90
- Wrestlers React To Ivan Koloffs Passing - 3 days ago 88
- TNA Offers Contract to Magnus for Return - 3 days ago 87
- Nicole Bass Reportedly Passes Away - 5 days ago 82
- Legend Ivan Koloff Passes Away at 74 - 3 days ago 81
Most Popular All Time
- BREAKING NEWS: 2015 Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards - > 1 year ago 6,740
- WRESTLEMANIA 31: DirecTV not offering WrestleMania 31 on pay-per-view - > 1 year ago 4,644
- LUCHA/MAJOR LEAD STORY: Perro Aguayo Jr. dies in ring Friday night (Lucha World) - > 1 year ago 3,947
- LUCHA/MAJOR BREAKING NEWS: Perro Aguayo Jr. dies in ring Friday night - > 1 year ago 3,934
- High Volume Pro Wrestling returns to Kinston, NC on January 23 with Steve Corino, CW Anderson, Ricky Morton - > 1 year ago 3,463
- Backstage News - A Possible Heel Turn For Dean Ambrose?, Details Inside Here - > 1 year ago 3,456
- A New Extremely Sad Photo Of Bobby 'The Brain' Heenan With Roddy Piper Surfaces Online - > 1 year ago 3,231
- Breaking Updates: Jeff Hardy Suffers Serious Injury At Last Night's TNA iMPACT! Tapings - Video Inside - > 1 year ago 2,903
- WWE/THE BELLA TWINS: Bella Twins 9-page spread on Muscle & Fitness Hers magazine - > 1 year ago 2,740
- WRESTLEMANIA 31: DISH not offering WrestleMania 31 on pay-per-view...yet - > 1 year ago 2,651
- Backstage News On Why Jerry Lawler Was Moved To The WWE SmackDown Announce Team - > 1 year ago 2,628
- Local South Jersey wrestling fan Kevin Hogan killed in truck accident this morning - 19 days ago 2,617