Three fighters have withdrawn from the Season 10 welterweight tournament that kicks off at Friday’s Bellator 112 event, but replacements have been named. War MachineÂ (14-5 MMA, 2-1 BMMA), Joe RiggsÂ (40-14 MMA, 1-1 BMMA) and Mark ScanlonÂ (9-2 MMA, 0-0 BMMA) have all withdrawn from the eight-man field, and Paul BradleyÂ (21-5 MMA, 1-0 BMMA), Nathan CoyÂ (13-4 MMA, 1-0 BMMA) and Cristiano SouzaÂ (7-0 MMA, 3-0 BMMA) have stepped in as replacements.
Bellator 112 takes place at Indiana’s Horseshoe Hammond Casino. The main card, including a headlining title fight between featherweight champion Daniel Straus and ex-titleholder Pat Curran, airs on Spike TV following prelims on Spike.com.
War Machine and Riggs withdrew with documented medical conditions, according to Bellator. Officials didn’t give a reason for Scanlon’s removal from the card. Due to the personnel changes, Bellator officials have also set new pairings for the welterweight tourney’s opening round, which kicks off Friday. They include Andrey KoreshkovÂ (14-1 MMA, 5-1 BMMA) vs. Nah-Shon BurrellÂ (11-3 MMA, 1-0 BMMA), Souza vs. Sam OropezaÂ (10-2 MMA, 2-1 BMMA), Jesse JuarezÂ (21-8 MMA, 5-0 BMMA) vs. Adam McDonoughÂ (9-0 MMA, 1-0 BMMA), and Bradley vs. Coy.
“Weâ€™ve been riding a great wave of not losing any fights or fighters from our tournaments,” Bellator Chairman and CEO Bjorn Rebney stated. “And, while losing any fighter from a tournament is never something weâ€™re happy to see happen, itâ€™s part of the sport, and itâ€™s a huge credit to our talent team to have developed the depth in the division to replace fighters with talent like Paul Bradley, Nathan Coy and Cristiano Souza.”
The latest Bellator 112 card now includes:
MAIN CARD (Spike TV, 9 p.m. ET)
- Champ Daniel Straus vs. Pat Curran – for featherweight title
- Nah-Shon Burrell vs. Andrey Koreshkov – welterweight tournament opening round
- Cristiano Souza vs. Sam Oropeza – welterweight tournament opening round
- Jesse Juarez vs. Adam McDonough – welterweight tournament opening round
PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike.com, 7 p.m. ET)
- Paul Bradley vs. Nathan Coy – welterweight tournament opening round
- A.J. Matthews vs. Belal Muhammad
- Lloyd Carter vs. Diego Marlon
- Darrion Caldwell vs. Lance Surma
- Derek Loffer vs. Bobby Reardanz
- Jason Guida vs. Anthony Gomez
- Erick Correa vs. Daniel James
(Pictured: Cristiano Souza)