30. Polvora (54) – Probably the biggest mystery of 2012 had to be Polvora’s continued rise up the CMLL lineups. Started the year as the Mexican National Welterweight champion and still was considered a part of the mid-card faction of Los Cancerberos. While he was still considered a Cancerbero, he had already clearly been pushed up the card ahead of the rest of the group at times appearing on main events. Had successful title defenses early in the year over Titan and Stuka Jr. Primarily a power wrestler, Polvora participated in CMLL’s En Busca de Un Idolo tournament. The judges were usually very down on him because he wasn’t technically sound in the ring, which appeared like he might be demoted on shows, but the opposite happened. Polvora struck gold in two ways. He had developed a really good chemistry with CMLL’s hot new tecnico, Titan, and the pair had a knack for having Match of the Year caliber matches in 2012. Polvora then benefited from the eventual break-up of Los Guerreros as he joined Dragon Rojo Jr. & Rey Escorpion as Los Revolucionarios del Terror in their feud with Ultimo Guerrero and his newly formed Guerreros Laguneros. On September 4, 2012, Polvora lost the Mexican National Welterweight title to Titan in one of the better matches of 2012. Polvora also catapulted that night as the guy who surprisingly upped his game for big singles matches. On November 11, 2012, Polvora would wear gold once again as he beat Mascara Dorada for the CMLL World Welterweight Title.
29. Fenix (48) – One of AAA’s top young stars. Wrestled in a number of fun trios matches throughout 2012. One of the top contender to the AAA Cruiserweight title. Challenged for the title in early July in a 3-way against Juventud Guerrera & Chessman. Won the XMW Tag Team titles with brother Dark Dragon in a 4-way match in September. It wasn’t until late 2012 that Fenix got a bigger push. At the Heroes Inmortales show on October 7, 2012, teamed with Lolita in challenging for the AAA Mixed Tag Team titles. When AAA started their second TV show on TVCDeportes called FUSION, Fenix was pegged as one of the featured stars of that show. He was in the tournament to crown the first AAA FUSION Champion. He won the opening round 4-way over Drago, Toscano & Dark Dragon. Made his debut in Japan on November 27, 2012 for the Pro Wrestling WAVE & AAA joint show in a trios match were he teamed with Lolita & Pimpinela Escarlata in a loss to CIMA, Ayako Hamada & Bachiko. Lost to Daga in a AAA Cruiserweight Champions 6-way Ladder match at Guerra de Titanes on December 2, 2012.
28. Trauma II (22) – Teamed with his brother Trauma I in challenging for a number of tag team titles throughout the indie scene in Mexico. Wrestled Sami Calllihan & Samuray Del Sol on an AULL show in February 2012. Lost to Hijo de Pirata Morgan & Pirata Morgan in an IWRG IC Tag Team title match on March 4, 2012. Won the AULL Tag Team titles on March 19th from Cerebro Maligno & Rey Krimen. They lost the titles one month later. Won Iron Love’s hair in January 2012. He later won the mask of Shadow Phoenix in Arena Naucalpan on June 17, 2012. Teaming with Trauma I & Negro Navarro feuded with all the trios that appeared in IWRG like Los Piratas, Junior Dinamitas, Los Oficiales & La Familia de Tijuana. Challenged for the IWRG IC Middleweight title held by El Angel in late December.
27. El Hijo del Santo (23) – Had a limited schedule in 2012 as he wrestled primarily in Mexico for his own Todo X El Todo promotion and spent more time wrestling outside of Mexico, primarily in the US and tours to Europe. He’s still an excellent wrestler. Wrote a monthly article for Record magazine website that provides some insight into El Hijo del Santo’s life and also is used to bash his enemies like certain promotions in Mexico. Had a really good feud with El Hijo del Solitario & Angel Blanco Jr. throughout 2012. Lost the WWA Welterweight title to Angel Blanco Jr. on New Year’s Day. Followed it up with a mask victory over Angel Blanco Jr. on March 31st. Their feud headlined most of the Todo X El Todo shows throughout 2012.
26. Puma King (NR) – One of CMLL’s talented mid-carders. Second-generation wrestler is the son of Felino. Teamed with uncle Negro Casas in the Gran Alternativa tournament in early 2012. He then took a step forward as part of CMLL’s En Busca de Un Idolo tournament & TV reality series. He was constantly picked on by team leader, Ultimo Guerrero, who complained he was copying Felino by playing to the crowd so much. Puma then drew Ultimo’s outrage to a new level when he showed him his new additions to his gear of a cape and crown. He was good in the tournament, but didn’t seem like a guy CMLL was going to elevate immediately after En Busca de Un Idolo ended. Puma won the mask of Arissma (formerly known as Karissma in Puebla, but had to change his name)in a 12-man cage match in Arena Puebla on May 28th. He caught fire in a feud with fellow mid-carder and high-flying tecnico Rey Cometa during that summer. The two came up with some very innovative spots including one that was later used by others in CMLL were Rey Cometa would hit a flying headscissors to the outside and Puma would catch him and swing him into the guardrail. At CMLL’s 79th Anniversary show on September 14th, Puma won the mask of Rey Cometa in a match that received Match of the Year consideration. While Rey Cometa was pushed a little more late in 2012, Puma continued to be in the midcard, but he’s very talented and has the family connection that should help him further along in his career.
25. Black Terry (15) – One of lucha libre’s top maestros, whenever he wasn’t wrestling, he was leading the IWRG GYM in torneo ciberneticos against competing wrestling schools/gyms. Had a bloody feud with Chico Che in January 2012 that led to a hair match that Black Terry lost in Arena Naucalpan on January 29, 2012. Took part in some of the maestros matches that have become popular among the independent shows in Mexico and are usually among the more well-received matches among die-hard lucha fans. Formed a new version of Los Temerarios in 2012 when he was joined by Alan Extreme & Temerario Infernal (a masked Bombero Infernal). The trio challenged for the Mexico State Trios titles held by Los Oficiales back in September 16, 2012. Made appearances on Hijo del Santo’s Todo X El Todo shows as a referee. In late 2012 began feuding with fellow veteran luchador, Fuerza Guerrera.
24. Oficial Fierro (46) – Part of the awesome trio of Los Oficiales. They were deep into the very packed trio rivalries that took place in IWRG for 2012. Oficiales feuded with Comando Elite. On July 29, 2012, Los Oficiales beat Comando Elite for the Mexico State Trios titles. Los Oficiales had successful title defenses against La Familia de Tijuana and Los Nuevos Temerarios. Lost his mask in the “Castillo del Terror” cage match to El Angel on November 1, 2012 despite interference from Oficial 911.
23. Virus (4) – Known as the “Pequeño Maestro” and the leader of Los Cancerberos. Los Cancerberos feuded with Los Guerreros Tuareg. They beat them in a torneo Cibernetico in late January 2012. In Puebla, Virus defeated Loco Max in a hair match on March 12th. Los Cancerberos were in a number of fun trios matches throughout 2012. Successfully defended the CMLL Super Lightweight title against Fuego on October 1, 2012 in a good match. Had a couple of matches (tag & trios) in Coliseo Coacalco against the Dinastia Navarro. One of CMLL’s most technically sound wrestlers, Virus has developed into one of the veteran rudos who works with the younger talent. He usually wrestled against the young high-flying tecnicos and several of his match relampagos were against wrestlers like Titan and Triton.
22. Trauma I (6) – The bigger half of the Traumas brother tag team. The duo teamed to win the AULL Tag team titles in early March 2012 and eventually lost them one month later. Teamed with his father, Negro Navarro, to win the IWRG IC Tag Team Titles from Hijo de Pirata Morgan & Pirata Morgan. Trauma I & Negro Navarro feuded with Damian 666 & Bestia 666. Was unsuccessful in a match against Bestia 666 for the IWRG Junior de Juniors title in March. Had a successful IWRG IC Tag Team title defense against Damian 666 & Bestia 666 in late May. They had several successful tag title defenses throughout 2012 over Cien Caras Jr. & Hijo de Máscara Año 2000, Hijo de LA Park & Hijo del Dr. Wagner Jr. & a second time against Damian 666 & Bestia 666. Feuded with several juniors in IWRG and challenged for the Rey del Ring late in 2012.
21. Atlantis (13) – A busy year for Atlantis in 2012. Wrestled on New Japan’s January 4th “Wrestle Kingdom VI” in Tokyo Dome in an 8-man tag match. Held the Mexican National Trios titles for most of 2012 with Delta & Guerrero Maya Jr. Known as Los Reyes del Atlantida, the trio had several successful title defenses in 2012 and had a pretty great feud against Los Invasores. They eventually lost the titles to Los Invasores on December 16th in Arena Mexico. Atlantis teamed with Mr. Niebla to win his third consecutive National Parejas tournament on March 2nd against Rush & El Terrible. Atlantis teamed with Triton to reach the Gran Alternativa finals and lost to El Terrible & Euforia on April 13, 2012. Throughout the year, Atlantis continued to feud with his former tag team partner Ultimo Guerrero. They would feud over the CMLL World Tag Team titles as Atlantis teamed with Diamante Azul. On August 3, 2012, Atlantis & Diamante Azul defeated Ultimo Guerrero & Dragon Rojo Jr. to win the CMLL World Tag Team titles. Atlantis & Diamante Azul successfully defended the tag titles against Felino & Mr. Niebla in September. On November 11, 2012, Atlantis & Diamante Azul lost the CMLL World Tag Team titles to El Terrible & Tama Tonga. Atlantis continues to be one of the top wrestlers in CMLL and doesn’t appear to be slowing down. He’s still very capable of pulling off a big dive when necessary.